This article connects to Gabriel's help resource on using the Family Explorer.
Of note: Tech support is working on the ability to pull a family into your church from this view. Until this process is ready, please click the "Go to Classic View" at the far top right of the screen and search for the Family there, and add to church using the old process.
Learning To Navigate the Gabriel Family Explorer
When you login to Gabriel it will now default to Family Explorer. Family Explorer was created so that the user has access to ALL your data located in the Families Module. This article will introduce you to the Family Explorer Tool Bar and how to filter and search data.
Family Explorer Tool Bar
The Family Explorer Tool Bar allows the user to perform some basic functionality within the Family Explorer. Here is a breakdown of each element within the tool bar.
- Download - Allows the user to download an excel file of all families and columns defined on your current search screen. The download is an excel file and can be edited and converted to a table like any other excel file.
- Send Message - Allows the user to send an email to your all families defined on your current search screen. By checking the box next to the family name you can choose to send an email to a single family or multiple families.
- Layout - By clicking on the down arrow the user is presented with four layout options.
- Save Layout - Saves your current layout until you delete or set it back to the default layout.
- My Layout - Will save the current layout and when you login this will become your default layout. The user has the ability to save a single layout.
- Default Layout - Will bring you back to the Gabriel default layout. The screenshot below shows the columns in the default layout.
Delete Layout - Will remove a saved layout.
- Advanced Layout - Allows the user to do advanced filtering, or grouping, by specifying an And/Or relationship, adding a specific expression, and putting them into specific groups.
- Example: Allows user to sort database on multiple family status'. If you want to sort on Active and Contributor the filter would be set up as follows.
- Clicking on New Family allows the user to add a family to your Gabriel database.
- Note: If you are working in another module within Gabriel you can now add a family by going to Families > New Family.
Using The Search Bars
Every column of data contains a search bar and filtering option that allows you to define your search criteria. Depending on the data contained in the column we suggest that you use "contains" most often as this is the best way to retrieve what you are looking for.
Defining and setting parameters for the columns of data
The following parameters can be set for each column of data by clicking on the kebab menu (3 circles) next to the column name.
- To change the columns choose Columns. This will reveal a list of the the data fields available to view and search. There are 60+ fields available to our users. By checking and unchecking the boxes it will either add or delete that column of data from your search screen.
- To change the position of the column drag the column to the desired position.
- If you would like to lock a single or multiple columns of data choose Set Column Position on the column of data that you would like to lock into place. All columns will lock to the left side of the kendo grid and the column titles will be highlighted as shown below.
- To sort the column in ascending or descending order choose Sort Ascending or Sort Descending. Once you choose one of these options you will see a blue arrow either pointing up or down next to the column name indicating you have made this selection.
- To search on specific data points within a column click on the filter icon or in the kebab menu choose Filter. The options for filtering the data will vary depending on the type of data you are searching on. For example, when searching on registration dates the options will be Is Equal To, Is Not Equal To, Is After, Is Before or Equal, etc. while searching on Family Name will give you the options Contains, Is Equal To, Is Not Equal To.